More Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

My Resin for life

I can hear it now...Huh??  What does that mean?  Silly title that!  I will explain myself momentarily.

Before I get started into that, I am pleased to welcome two more followers!  Yay!  I want to welcome Ersilia from dadasdollhouse, and Blanche from Diario Vittoriano!  I am grateful to those of you who are willing to see me through my earliest days.  It is good to know you are out there sharing this with me!



My current project - making trinkets from resin


So back to the subject of this post, I want to tell you, I think I will have resin on my fingers for life!  My most recent project has been creating LOTS of little clocks, gears, and trinkets for that very busy Entry Floor! I leave totally covered with resin every time I try!  Add a little paint to that, and I begin to look a little scary to my friends and family.


Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

See, I TOLD you I am scary! 
(and no, that is NOT a picture of me!)

You see I have this idea....I think it is a little daft...let me tell you...but I plan to create a resin floor out of all this mess.   It SHOULD work.  I THINK it will work.  Gosh, I HOPE it works!  

Well, we'll leave all that for later.  If it DOESN'T work, you will be the first to know I guess!

As with everything related to miniatures, this is a first for me.  I have never worked with resins before, and believe me, you would have laughed at me at the local craft store...I stood in front of the meager selection of casting resins and mold makings at the store for way too long.  I couldn't decide what to buy, because I literally have NO reference points related to this!  



Amazing Mold Putty and Casting Resin - "I'd do it again!"

I finally settled on a product suite called "Amazing Mold Putty" and "Amazing Casting Resin".  Their marketing ploy finally worked on me....after all, it is "Amazing", the products "Go Together", how bad could it be?  

Well, it wasn't too bad!  I have actually enjoyed learning how to do this.  I can see LOTS of close encounters with resin casting in my future. 


The process was actually very simple.  A single set of new molds took me about 15 minutes... not bad! Unfortunately, since I was not thinking "blog" at the time, I didn't take a good set of pictures of the process, so that will have to come next time I try this process out.

My army of new molds!  I even threw away a few - quality control, you know!

I enjoyed it so much that I am afraid I used the entire lot!  In just a few hours, I had molds on top of molds! I used buttons, jewelry, and craft store finds as forms for the molds.  I learned a few things in the process, but I guess I'll save those little nuggets for later, when I can actually demonstrate the full process.

Overall, the experience has been great...and I will do it again.  It will provide me with the capability to create many beautiful things that I might otherwise not have been able to do.

A chronicle of my resin casting career so far!

Here is a closeup shot that shows my "improvement" during the experience.  There was a bit of a learning curve for this.  But you can see two of these castings (the center two) demonstrate my "early" work...and the two on the outside demonstrate what can be done with resins.  I think those two turned out wonderfully. The two center ones will need some work...and may end up in  the trash or "hidden" somewhere in the house where they cannot do any damage.

I'll continue to cast more trinkets for the floor, and will share progress with you as I go.   If you have been on the fence about trying resin casting, take the plunge!  No one was ever as nervous as I was about doing this...if I can do it, anyone can.

I have to go wash the resin off of my fingers for the 90th time...so until next time!

Doug S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to the blog! I appreciate your visit, and welcome your comments!