I have had a grand old time today working on the Entry floor. It is coming together! What I envisioned is getting closer to a reality. Nowhere near finished...but it is beginning to look like I have a plan of sorts!
|Current State of Entry Floor|
|Some perfect additions to the trinkets for the floor|
|Hobby Lobby Find also dismantled|
I spent most of my day sanding resin gears, buttons, and clocks. I was able to level and trim the resin castings to improve their look.
|Before Sanding - lots of crooked looking pieces|
|After sanding and painting. Less variation and each piece is leveled out.|
The photo above doesn't really show that off well...the light of the camera highlights the undercoat of each disk more, so that these still do appear quite varied in color. However, in real life, while they do have some variation, as planned, each has the overall tones of copper.
|Floor repairs required!|
I then spackled and repaired a couple of dents and holes in my Foam Core board. Most of those dents are because I keep propping up the stairs and inevitably I let them fall...not good for Foam Core!
|Painted and Cut Illustration Board|
I cut illustration board to the same size as the floor, then painted it and created a faux copper feel by layering and daubing paint onto the board. I then used a paper towel to move the paint around and create a mottled effect. I used a basic tan as the base, added some verdigris, gold and bronze coloring, and finished up with multiple layers of copper color, in two shades. Again, the light highlights color you don't see much of in real life. I sure wish I knew how to take a decent picture!
|Two components of the central rosette|
|Tinted Jewelry Finding Closeup|
That is where I am knocking off for the evening! Here is a final photo from a different angle of the floor as it stands as of now. As usual, nothing is glued down!
|Shiny new Steampunk floor!|