Continuing work on the Entry floor....today I worked on aging the Steampunk items which will go into the resin floor.
I was very happy with the resin casting process and what I ended up with by painting several layers of acrylic paints. I felt that they were unified in appearance, which is what I wanted, yet I wanted some variation in the depth of color and a sense of age.
I wanted to take the aging process further however, because while they did give the impression of age...they didn't LOOK old. I am going for an aged but elegant look for this miniature house, so I wanted to improve the feeling of age.
I chose to use an Indian Ink wash to accomplish that, and I do feel that it was a smashing success! I think these look now like aged and slightly rusty metal, which absolutely supports the look I want to create.
This process of aging with Indian Ink, like everything else, is totally new to me, so I was pleased that it came off.
Of course, I didn't start on the resin castings...I practiced a bit first. My first try was with a couple of old earrings picked up at a garage sale as potential trinkets for the mansion. These didn't work all that well...primarily because of the texture of the metal earrings. As I progressed, I found a couple of buttons and some wood to play with, and used those to perfect the mixture.