I've added a platform on top of the foundation pieces,with wood. Above, since I didn't remember to take pictures of that, is the Foam Core version, and only between the windows. The great reveal will be later in the post. You can take another view of the beautifully aged copper windows this way, right?
Step 3: This is the "interesting" but not necessarily beautiful portion of the post. Notice, you have just experienced the "big reveal"! Around the base of the module you will see the new wood base in it's full and unadulterated glory.
Now that we have that done, on with the rest of the story. I decided to overlay the window boxes with aluminum sheeting. What you see above is the underpinnings, so it is still Work In Process. I thought I would break down how I accomplished that, as I think it was an interesting process, and with a little more skill that I currently have, I think it could net extremely beautiful results. As it is, I am happy with it other than a bit of buckling in the aluminum that I will need to disguise.
This is what I started with. I purchased a sheet of recycled aluminum at 30 gauge from http://www.whimsie.com/index.html. The service was fast, and the recycled aluminum arrived in a strong packing tube and in good condition.
I used tin snips for the first cuts. I drew all the lines with a green felt pen to give me something to cut along. Cutting the metal turned out to be very simple to do.
Lessons Learned, I would use my utility knife (and did for the final two that are pictured). While it takes a bit more effort, the result is smoother and cleaner than using the tin snips, which caused the metal to curl, and necessitated flattening the metal again. You see above that the pieces are a bit lumpy, which was caused by the tin snips. It is easier not to bend it in the first place than to take out the unwanted undulations.
In order to manage the fold over the top of the window box, I cut the pieces larger than required to fold over the top of the window box. I cut flaps at the top to the depth of the box, so that I could fold over and glue the metal to the box. The first attempt, pictured above, ended up being too damaged to use, and was used to cut the patterns for the "new" ones. :0)
Prior to cutting the flaps into the "new" pieces, I painted them using Rust-oleum's Metallic Paint and Primer in One. The color is 'Flat Chestnut'. It leaves an incredibly beautiful finish, with a real depth to the color that adds a lot of immediate interest by itself. I put three coats on the metal, adding the paint in very light layers to build to the final color.
I then bent the aluminum using my metal ruler to attempt to keep the metal smooth. I laid the metal ruler along the lines I wanted to bend, and slowly bent the sides and top back to create the box.
I then glued the bent aluminum onto the window boxes, using, of all things, Arlenes Tacky Glue. I love that stuff. It will glue just about anything!
You begin to see the hint of the eventual effect by getting up close and personal with the windows. I am liking the overall effect. You can see above though that I had to cut away a bit of the aluminum to allow the window to go back in on this one. I'll have the exciting task of making that melt away over the next few weeks. :0( I figure it will be covered up by the trims, so have left it to deal with at that time.