- I have never ever cut circles in wood with my new Proxxon Scroll Saw.
- I have never ever made anything resembling a door.
- I have never ever tried to work with tiny wood pieces smaller than my fingers.
- I have never ever tried to carve detail into wood.
- I have never ever tried to stain wood that I have carved.
This door completely captured the feeling I wanted for the kitchen doors. It screams Steampunk to me, and I really love the scroll work in the windows and the black metal trim. I knew going into this that I would not be able to completely recreate this masterpiece of a door, but I thought perhaps I could approximate the door, simplify it a bit, and get the basic concept in place.
With this inspiration in mind, I came up with a "concept" as seen above. There is SO much between a "concept" and "reality"! You've seen that what I have so far is a long ways away from this even, and THIS is the dummied down version!
Curse my affinity for "unusual" and "artistic" expression. Bah! Humbug! I've had to continually simplify my design due to the limitations of my current abilities. But I am still excited about the direction of the door, and know that with time, I will be able to create something that I think meets my standards and communicates a similar feeling.
You can see though, that I am FAR from complete with my little endeavor!
I just wish I could communicate the comic events that have taken place to get me to this place in the process. I can think of no way to demonstrate the ups and downs without writing a TRUE novel, so I'll just give you an account of what I have done to get here, and let you fill in the blanks.
Almost immediately, I realized that I did not have "room" for all of my "unusual and artistic" concepts in the space I had left for the door in the kitchen room box. After that rather disappointing realization, I "redesigned" the door slightly to allow me to keep the basic concept, while eliminating the problem of not having enough "canvas for my muse". The basic change was to the window shape. I narrowed the window space, turned it into four window lites leveraging the kitchen window design, and proceeded.