As you know, I had decided to make two kitchen sinks for my Steampunk Kitchens. This is the second of those two sinks, the "clean" sink. My little occupants, (the Lightstone family, I have decided finally, after the intended exterior of the house!) live in a very old and grand home that has been upgraded to keep up with the times. They made a very good decision to keep their old stone sink and add the new fangled, iron sink. This just made sense, since they had the room, and everyone knows that sinks are useful commodities, right?
|Original Sink Shape and Size|
The sink is not quite complete yet, I am waiting on a couple of pieces on order from Hobby Supply, but I thought there was enough in this post to go ahead, and I'll share the final product in place in one of the next few posts.
|The Camera Picks Out the Ugliest Little Details! |
RL? Not a one of them to be seen!
You WILL have to forgive my sad sack photography skills. I took over 300 pictures of this sink in it's nearly completed state, and I just could not get a decent photo. I guess it is the semi-gloss finish combined with the black color that made it so hard to capture. So you'll have to imagine the inordinate beauty of the final product. I have no way to show it to you! :0)
The entire assembly was glued together to create the basic shape.
The sides were reinforced with wood pieces, as the 1/32" wood would easily break over time otherwise.
The "conditioning" that they talk about is nothing more than kneading the clay like bread. When it comes out of the package, it is literally almost like stone, fairly hard and not pliable. "Conditioning" is just kneading the clay until it becomes soft and pliable. So why did I have my heart in my throat? I guess I just wanted something to chew on. Once the clay was conditioned, I rolled it out into flat pieces about 1/8" thick.
I covered the entire form with Polymer Clay a piece at a time. Here, in hind sight, I left things too unfinished. Note the somewhat bumpy surfaces I was left with? Doing this again, I would spend more time on smoothing out those places, as they fire up in just about exactly the same shape, no real movement of the clay while being baked. Little details that make a difference in the long run!
The clay formed piece was baked in the oven at 275 degrees for 25 minutes. I kept peeking at the thing the whole way through because I was afraid I was going to burn it!
Prior to baking the polymer, I had tried to make impressions along the front of the sink, to create a pattern across the sink sides. That was NOT successful. I have more to learn, yea! :0) Because of that, and because of my lack of attention to detail on preparing the surfaces before baking, I needed to sand the surfaces smoother. I was able to do that for the most part successfully, but the piece still has some "inelegant" lines due to my learning curve.
Well, I am late getting started for work, because I am finishing this up. So I better hang a close on the post and get on the stick!
Hope you all have a great day!